Policy 8100 | Kimberly
The Board’s primary concerns in providing transportation services to students are the safety and protection of the health of students.
The District shall provide transportation to and from school for a student who:
- resides at least one and one-half (1-½) miles from the nearest appropriate school (determined by the nearest and best route from the junction of the driveway of the student’s home and the nearest public road to the nearest door of the school the student attends or to a bus stop, whichever the case may be); or
- is a student with a disability, whose IEP identifies transportation as a related service;
- in the judgment of the Board, has another compelling and legally sufficient reason to receive transportation services, including the age, health or safety of the student; or
- the residence of the student is within a “safety bussing” zone as defined by the rules of the State of Idaho.
Although the District will not transport students between child care facilities, if a student attends one of the following, transportation may be provided if the following is within the Kimberly School District:
- day care center;
- family day care home;
- group day care facility: or
- Relative's home.
Requests must be made in writing and received at least 72 hours in advance to assure the district can accommodate the request. The district will try to accommodate changes made on a temporary basis if the request is made in writing, signed by the parent or guardian, at least 24 hours prior to the requested change. Children may not ride a bus other than the one assigned without written permission from the parent. These requests will only be honored to the extent the bus has legal capacity to accommodate children who regularly ride that particular route.
The type of transportation provided by the District may be by a school bus or other vehicle, or by such individual transportation as paying the parent or guardian for individually transporting the student. The Board of Trustees may authorize children attending nonpublic schools to ride a school bus provided that space is available and a fee to cover the per-seat cost for such transportation is collected.
Homeless students shall be transported in accordance with the McKinney Homeless Assistance Act and state law.
8101 Safety Busing, 8110 Bus Routes, Stops and Non-Transportation Zones
I.C. § 33-1501 Transportation Authorized
I.C. § 33-1503 Payments when transportation not furnished
IDAPA 08.02.03.109 Special Education
Anticipated First Reading: March 17, 2005:
Adopted on: April 21, 2005