October 19, 2016 | Kimberly
KIMBERLY SCHOOL DISTRICT 414
KIMBERLY SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
October 19, 2016
No Executive Session Scheduled
Regular Meeting 7:30 p.m.
The meeting was called to order by Mr. Champlin at 7:35 p.m. Prior to the regular meeting, the board enjoyed Papa Kelsey’s sandwiches. Present were trustees Mr. Higdem, Mr. Giles, and Mr. Nield. Dr. Melvin was absent. Also in attendance were Mr. Schroeder, Superintendent; Mrs. Wirtz, Business Manager; Mrs. Cooper, District Clerk; Dominik Unger, KHS Principal; Matt Schvaneveldt, KMS Principal; Megan Garner, KES principal; Sara Crystal, Curriculum Director, Ted Wasko, Maintenance Director; Darla Wadsworth, Transportation Director and Jake Massey, KES Vice-Principal.
AGENDA: Mr. Nield moved to approve the agenda. Mr. Giles seconded the motion. The motion carried 4–0.
FLAG SALUTE: Everyone stood and participated in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Board PD: Mr. Schroeder asked trustees what items or concerns should they bring to a board meeting and what would be OK to discuss with other trustees? Board members do represent their zone patrons and it would definitely be OK to ask other trustees if they are hearing the same thing. It is also appropriate to touch base with school administration with concerns. Personnel matters or board agenda items should never be discussed outside the open meeting.
HEARING OF VISITORS: KHS Government student was in attendance.
- Letter from Icrimp the Morten Insurance underwriter re: opportunity for trustee to run for a board seat.
- Letter from Lewis and Clark re: no KHS students were in need of remediation in language or math J
FINANCIAL REPORT: Myron Nield moved and Curtis Giles seconded the motion to approve the September, 2016 financial report including investment pool statements. Mrs. Wirtz noted that we have been funded for the building project. The latest on the November revise shows us up 2 support units. We hope to hire a full-time custodian and part-time school psychologist. The motion carried 4-0.
Building Project Update by Jason Derricott of STARR Corporation: Jason presented a slide show with changes made to colors of siding and masonry that is very aesthetically pleasing. The commons area next to the gym was enlarged. A hallway to an outside door to the bus loading area was added. Next big decision to be made will be flooring types. Still in talks with IDT and engineers regarding a left turn lane. Jason will follow up on legal description for proposed property. Appraisal will be next step.
KSD direction for digital tools and digital ethics is postponed until November.
Policy 4330 Facility Rental is tabled until November.
CONSENT AGENDA: Myron Nield moved and Dane Higdem seconded the motion to approve the consent agenda with the following items. The motion carried 4-0.
- Approve district invoices
- Approve school invoices
- Approve food service expenditures.
- Approve September 21, 2016 meeting minutes.
- Accept KHS Dart Foundation $5,000 Grant for integration of scientific labs
- Approve ISU student teacher Christina Hollifield – KMS with Mrs. Keller
- KHS FY17 Athletic budget
- Sale of surplus items –pallets, wrestling mat, concrete wall bricks and old KMS gym flooring.
DISCUSSION / AGENDA ITEMS
APPROVE ADDITIONAL INVOICES: Dane Higdem moved and Curtis Giles seconded the motion to approve additional invoices for September which included architecture fees for new elementary school. The motion carried 4-0.
AUDIT REPORT – MAHLKE, HUNSAKER & CO: Mr. Nield moved and Mr. Giles seconded the motion to approve the audit report as presented by Mr. Troy Mahlke. Kimberly School District received a qualified opinion (which is good). The district has good internal controls in place. There is a recommendation that the district office schedule regular internal audits for school student body accounting. The motion carried 4-0.
REVIEW IDSBA RESOLUTIONS: Mr. Schroeder reviewed the Idaho School Board Resolutions that will be voted on at the annual convention Nov. 11th. The School Board Association will only support non-budget line item resolutions until the state fully funds education back to 2009 levels taking inflation into consideration. Resolutions included flexibility for hiring administrators; student safety funding; hiring retired policeman as SRO’s; reduce 2/3 majority vote to convene into executive session; reducing super majority required for school facility bonds; incentive to encourage students to pursue teaching; rural school centers and increase salary based apportionment for classified employees.
- ISBA convention in Boise, November 9-11
- KMS gym floor has been replaced
- KHS Fall sports are concluding. X-Country boys and girls qualified for state; 12 of Kimberly’s 27 kids have qualified for state; Volleyball season has concluded and Football’s last conference game is this Friday vs. Filer
- Cross Fit for kids is being introduced at the middle school with the help of Dr. Melvin
- Good Stories to Share
- KES had Playworks Fun night and 200 families attended
- KHS has started an advisory “life coach” program assigning HS students to an adult
- Freshman retreat included 26 senior advisors to answer HS questions and give advice.
Mr. Nield moved and Mr. Higdem seconded the motion to approve the personnel report. The motion carried 4-0.
LEADERSHIP TEAM REPORTS: Available on the website.
ADJOURNMENT: Curtis Giles moved to adjourn the meeting 9:10 pm. Myron Nield seconded the motion and the motion carried 4-0.