June 21, 2017 | Kimberly
Executive Session 7:00 p.m.
EXECUTIVE SESSION: Dane Higdem (via phone) moved and Ryan Melvin seconded the motion to enter executive session at 7:00 p.m. as provided for in section IC 74-206(1) b to consider personnel matters, labor negotiations and acquisition of an interest in real property. Mr. Champlin asked for a roll call; Mr. Giles – yes Dr. Melvin – yes, Mr. Higdem – yes (via phone) and Mr. Champlin - yes. Myron Nield – arrived to the session late. Mr. Nield moved to exit executive session and return executive session at the end of the open meeting. Mr. Giles seconded the motion. The motion carried 5–0.
Regular Meeting 7:30 p.m.
The meeting was called to order by Mr. Champlin at 7:37 p.m. Present were trustees Mr. Giles, Mr. Nield, and Dr. Melvin. Mr. Higdem was in CA and did not stay on the Also in attendance were Mr. Schroeder, Superintendent; Mrs. Cooper, District Clerk; Laurie Wirtz, Business Manager; and Sara Crystal, Curriculum Director.
AGENDA: Mr. Nield moved to approve the agenda. Dr. Melvin seconded the motion. The motion carried 4–0.
FLAG SALUTE: Everyone stood and participated in the Pledge of Allegiance.
CURRICULUM DIRECTOR: Mrs. Crystal gave the board information and her goals on curriculum, assessments, professional development and the gifted and talented programs. She is working on identifying more G/T students; building on the solid professional development programs she has started; improve mentoring opportunities; working with a committee for purposeful assessment and improved communication utilizing the school website.
SPED/FEDERAL PROGRAMS: Ms. Haught had a family emergency and was unavailable tonight.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES PD: Tabled until next month
HEARING OF VISITORS: No one in attendance tonight
- Thank you card to the board from Mrs. Johnson for X-Fit t-shirts J
FINANCIAL REPORT: Ryan Melvin moved and Curtis Giles seconded the motion to approve the May, 2017 financial report and investment pool statements. The motion carried 4-0.
Building Project Update: Jason Derricott, STARR construction manager for the new elementary school project reported that stem walls are in place and framing has begun. The project is proceeding in a timely manner and plumbing and electrical ground rough will start soon.
2nd READING TO REVISE POLICY 3530 STUDENT FUND RAISING ACTIVITIES: Myron Nield moved and Ryan Melvin seconded the motion to approve the second and final reading that requires submitting Form 3530 to appropriate building administration and superintendent to approve fundraising. The motion carried 4-0.
2nd READING TO REVISE POLICY 2221R SCHOOL CLOSURE: Curtis Giles moved and Myron Nield seconded the motion to approve Policy 2221R as 2nd and final reading limiting emergency closure days to 3. Additional emergency closure days will be made-up. The motion carried 4-0.
2nd READING TO REVISE POLICY 2333 PARTICIPATION IN COMMENCEMENT: Myron Nield moved and Curtis Giles seconded the motion to retain policy 2333 as is and not revise. The motion carried 4-0.
CLASSIFIED EMPLOYEE BREAKS/MEAL BREAKS: Ryan Melvin moved and Myron Nield seconded the motion to revise the classified handbook with break and meal break clarification as submitted by Mr. Schroeder. The motion carried 3-0 (Mr. Giles momentarily away from the meeting). Supervisors will communicate this clarification with classified employees.
CONSENT AGENDA: Myron Nield moved and Curtis Giles seconded the motion to approve the following consent agenda items. The motion carried 4-0.
- Approve district invoices
- Approve school invoices
- Approve food service expenditures
- Approve May 15 and May 24, 2017 meeting minutes
- Approve Auditor Engagement Letter/MOU with MH & Co
- Approve Varsity Football out of state travel to Lake Tahoe for camp and JV football to CSI camp. Approve use of school safety equipment at both camps.
- Approve Swim Team Collective Co-op with Jerome HS
- Approve MOU’s and Contracts: Total Management; Primary Therapy Source; Valley Therapy; and Head Start
- Approve ID Dairy Council Grant - $4,395 for milk cooler and electric meat and cheese slicer for food service
- Sale of surplus items –pallets, Pre-Algebra and Algebra books to donate.
DISCUSSION / AGENDA ITEMS
APPROVE ADDITIONAL INVOICES: Dr. Melvin moved and Mr. Nield seconded the motion to approve additional invoices for May, 2017. The motion carried 4-0.
APPROVE SCHOOL FEE INCREASE: Myron Nield moved and Curtis Giles seconded the motion to approve the FY18 Fee Increase as submitted. The motion carried 4-0.
FY18 BUDGET HEARING: Myron Nield moved and Curtis Giles seconded the motion to approve the FY18 Budget as explained and submitted by Mrs. Wirtz, business manager noting contingency, secondary units, and SPED requirement concerns. The motion carried 4-0.
PROCEDURAL AGREEMENT WITH KEA: Myron Nield moved and Curtis Giles seconded the motion to approve updating the procedural agreement per ID Code 33-10004B regarding evaluations and salary allocations. The motion carried 4-0.
FY18 STUDENT FEES/SUPPLIES: Curtis Giles moved and Ryan Melvin seconded the motion to approve student fees and supplies for FY18. The motion carried 4-0.
REAL ESTATE PURCHASE SALES AGREEMENT: Myron Nield moved and Curtis Giles seconded the motion to approve The Hale Property (Emerald frontage) purchase agreement pending home inspection. Mr. Champlin is authorized to sign agreement after Mr. Wasko does the inspection. The motion carried 4-0.
MAINTENANCE VEHICLES PURCHASE: Curtis Giles moved and Myron Nield seconded the motion to approved the purchase of a 2007 GMC truck, snow plow and work van (target price of $2,500) utilizing plant facility funds. The motion carried 4-0.
- Transition Committee will make a recommendation to the board regarding boundaries, name, school colors and mascot and follow up with a patron meeting. The Revitalization Committee has come up with ways to tweak the current elementary blueprint to somewhat simulate the new elementary.
- ISBA Convention is in Coeurd’Alene Nov. 8-10. Let Laurie know if you plan to attend.
- EOP (Emergency Operations Procedures) conducted with us by the Department of Safety/Security is almost complete
- Many summer projects i.e. new middle school roof and parking lot are in progress
- Thanks to Dr. Ryan Melvin for filling our Zone 3 vacancy. He will be missed.
Curtis Giles moved and Ryan Melvin seconded the motion to approve the personnel report. Rob Champlin recused himself from the vote as his nephew is being hired. The motion carried 3-0 with Rob abstaining.
RESIGNATIONS / RETIREMENTS:
LEADERSHIP TEAM REPORTS: No Summer Reports
ADJOURNMENT: Ryan Melvin moved to adjourn at 9:50 and return to executive session. Myron Nield seconded the motion. The motion carried 4-0.