July 19, 2017 | Kimberly
KIMBERLY SCHOOL DISTRICT 414
KIMBERLY SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
July 19, 2017
Executive Session 7:15 p.m.
EXECUTIVE SESSION: Dane Higdem (via phone) moved and Curtis Giles seconded the motion to enter executive session at 7:15 p.m. as provided for in section IC 74-206(1) b to consider personnel matters, labor negotiations and acquisition of an interest in real property. Mr. Champlin asked for a roll call; Mr. Giles – yes Mr.Nield – yes, Mr. Higdem – yes (via phone) and Mr. Champlin - yes. New board member Matthew Black was in attendance but not sworn in as yet. Mr. Giles moved to exit executive session and Mr. Nield seconded the motion. The motion carried 4–0.
Regular Meeting 7:30 p.m.
The meeting was called to order by Mr. Champlin at 7:40 p.m. Present were trustees Mr. Giles, Mr. Nield, and Mr. Black. Mr. Higdem was in CA and did not stay on for the regular meeting. Also in attendance were Mr. Schroeder, Superintendent; Mrs. Cooper, District Clerk; and Laurie Wirtz, Business Manager.
AGENDA: Mr. Nield moved to approve the agenda. Mr. Giles seconded the motion. The motion carried 4–0.
OATH OF OFFICE: Mrs. Cooper, Clerk of the Board delivered the Oath of Office to new trustee for Zone 3, Matthew Black. Mr. Black will serve a 4-year term, July, 2017 through June, 2021.
FLAG SALUTE: Everyone stood and participated in the Pledge of Allegiance.
BOARD PD: Mr. Shroeder reviewed Idaho Open Meeting Law, focusing on transparency and that the board should discuss and deliberate only in a posted open meeting.
HEARING OF VISITORS: Larry Pollard was only attendee and he will report on agenda item Update on Building Project.
- Thank you card to the board from Mrs. Fisher for retirement gift.
FINANCIAL REPORT: Myron Nield moved and Matthew Black seconded the motion to approve the June, 2017 and June, 2018 financial reports and investment pool statements. The motion carried 4-0.
Building Project Update: Larry Pollard, STARR project manager for the new elementary school project reported that the project is on schedule. Site work, other than sewer lines are complete; gym block is completed and tresses are up. The north side will be seeded for grass this fall so that the grounds will be ready for FY 19 start of school.
CTA PRESENTED RENOVATION PLAN: Myron Nield moved and Curtis Giles seconded the motion to approve the Kimberly Elementary School preliminary renovation plan as presented. The plan mimics the new elementary plan and was created with unity and parity for all students and families that will be attending this multi-generational building. The motion carried 4-0.
HALE PROPERTY PURCHASE: Luke reported that the purchase of the Hale property on Emerald will be expedited because of the declining health of the owner.
CONSENT AGENDA: Myron Nield moved and Curtis Giles seconded the motion to approve the following consent agenda items. The motion carried 4-0.
- Approve district invoices
- Approve school invoices (none this month)
- Approve food service expenditures
- Approve June 21, 2017 meeting minutes
- Sale of surplus items –pallets
- Approve Contract with City of Kimberly for SRO; Table approval of the KHS Athletic Trainer Agreement with St. Luke’s. Board would like to finish the 2 years of the original 3-year agreement and negotiate the yearly increase moving forward.
DISCUSSION / AGENDA ITEMS
APPROVE ADDITIONAL INVOICES: Curtis Giles moved and Mr.Black seconded the motion to approve additional invoices for June, 2017. The motion carried 4-0.
PENDING ALTERNATIVE AUTHORIZATIONS: Myron Nield moved and Matthew Black seconded the motion to approve the FY18 pending alternative authorizations as follows. The motion carried 3-0 with Mr. Giles abstaining.
- Kori Stallings (5th grade) - ABCTE
- Kristen Lewis (5th grade) - ABCTE
- Camille Grover (KES Library) – New Endorsement
- Kelly Stover (KES Library) – New Endorsement
- Michelle Slagel (KMS Library) – New Endorsement
- Kayla Hutcheson (1st grade) – New Endorsement
- Rachelle Mueller (3rd grade) – ABCTE
- Melinda Fontana (5th grade) – New Endorsement
- Angie Champneys (4-5 SPED) - ABCTE
- Emily Meidell (.25 Art) – Pending ID certificate (expired UT certificate)
- Yolanda Hernandez (4th grade) – College Route
- Keelie Campbell (SPED Director endorsement) – College Route
ANNUAL REORGANIZATIONAL MEETING:
- Curtis Giles moved and Myron Nield seconded the motion to approve setting FY18 meeting dates and times to the 3rd Wednesday of every month with the open meeting beginning at 7 pm. The motion carried 4-0.
- Curtis Giles moved and Matthew Black seconded the motion to elect Mr. Rob Champlin as board chairman and Mr. Myron Nield as board vice-chair. The also elected Cathy Cooper as secretary and Laurie Wirtz as treasurer. The motion carried 4-0
LONG RANGE PLAN REVIEW AND REVISION: This was a discussion item. Mr. Schroeder shared the current Long Range Plan with key components highlighted. This document has been in place as of Feb., 2015.
ISBA RESOLUTION (career ladder placement for out of state teachers): Curtis Giles moved and Myron Nield seconded the motion to sponsor an ISBA resolution that professional teachers from out of state receive the education allocation. The board suggested that Mr. Schroeder contact other districts to also support. The motion carried 4-0.
CALENDAR CHANGE TO ACCOMMODATE SOLAR ECLIPSE: Curtis Giles moved and Matthew Black seconded the motion to approve exchanging Aug. 21 on the teacher’s work calendar with Aug. 17th so that they can enjoy the Eclipse. Year round employees will work that day. The motion carried 4-0.
1st READING TO POLICY 5222P – EVALUATION OF CERTIFIED PERSONNEL PROCEDURE: Curtis Giles moved and Matthew Black seconded the motion to approve 1st reading to revise policy 5222P evaluation procedure, to align with Idaho Code and IDAPA rule. The percentage for professional practice will change from 67%to 80% and student achievement will change from 37% to 20%. The motion carried 4-0.
1st READING TO POLICY 5227 –DRUG FREE WORKPLACE: Curtis Giles moved and Myron Nield seconded the motion to approve aligning Policy 5227 with the procedure 5227P citing that an employee must disclose a drug conviction to administration within 24 hours. The motion carried 4-0.
1st READING TO POLICY 3141R – NON-RESIDENT STUDENT POLICY: Curtis Giles moved and Matthew Black seconded the motion to include “students who are not making academic progress under criteria” in rejecting out of district students. The motion carried 4-0.
- The transition committee will create a survey monkey and bring reports to the board in October.
- ISBA Convention is in Coeurd’Alene Nov. 8-10. Let Laurie know if you plan to attend.
- Administrative Board Retreat will be held the 2nd Saturday in August with a goal setting meeting set at a later date.
- Technology update: Mrs. Dame is working with the tech department and Tek Hut on the conversion from Novell to Outlook.
- Many summer projects i.e middle school parking lot, high school gym floor and installation of new scoreboard are in progress.
- Future policy revisions to include curriculum and food service.
- Good Story to Share: Kimberly and Oakley were voted in the top 10 small cities in ID. Kimberly because of the reputation of our schools.
PERSONNEL REPORT - Amended:
Myron Nield moved and Curtis Giles seconded the motion to approve the personnel report The motion carried 4-0.
Lea Stone Title Teacher
Kori Stallings 5th grade teacher
Emily Meidell .25 KMS Art Teacher
Richelle Beard KHS Secretary
Yolanda Hernandez 4th grade teacher
RESIGNATIONS / RETIREMENTS:
Vera Ellen Ward KES Literacy/STEM Teacher
LEADERSHIP TEAM REPORTS: No Summer Reports
ADJOURNMENT: Curtis Giles moved to adjourn at 10:10 pm Myron Nield seconded the motion. The motion carried 4-0.
Mr. Rob Champlin, Chairman Cathy Cooper, Clerk