January 17, 2018 | Kimberly
KIMBERLY SCHOOL DISTRICT 414
KIMBERLY SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
January 17, 2018
EXECUTIVE SESSION: - No Executive session at this meeting
Regular Meeting 7:00 p.m.
The meeting was called to order by Mr. Champlin at 7:00 p.m. Present were trustees Mr. Giles, Mr. Champlin and Mr. Nield via phone. Mr. Higdem and Mr. Black were not present. Also in attendance were Mr. Schroeder, Superintendent; Mrs. Cooper, District Clerk; Cassandra Searby, District Clerk Apprentice; Laurie Wirtz, Business Manager; Keelie Campbell, Director of Programs; Megan Garner, Elementary Principal; Jake Massey, Elementary Vice-Principal; Dominik Unger, High School Principal; Ted Wasko, Maintenance Director; Roxi Mumm, Food Service Director.
AGENDA: Mr. Champlin moved to approve the agenda. Mr. Giles seconded the motion. The motion carried 3–0.
FLAG SALUTE: Everyone stood and participated in the Pledge of Allegiance.
ALL-STATE MUSIC: Alan Garrigues, Band Director, addressed the board regarding funding and approval for four students to attend the All-State Music workshop in Moscow, Jan. 31-Feb. 3. Students, Olivia Turner and Grace Solomon spoke on the importance of this opportunity. It was decided that flying would be more cost effective vs. busing to the event.
KIMBERLY WELLNESS PROGRAM: Mr. Schroeder updated the board on the wellness program and the overall optimistic effects the monthly workshops and exercise programs have had on the staff. The preventative day and health screenings have already had a positive impact on our employees.
HEARING OF VISITORS: No topics brought up at this meeting.
- Thank you cards from staff members for the KBOA Christmas certificates J
Trustee Myron Nield joined the meeting via phone at 8:07 P.M.
FINANCIAL REPORT: Curtis Giles moved and Myron Nield seconded the motion to approve the December, 2017 financial report and investment pool statements. The motion carried 3-0.
Building Project Update: Jason Derricott, from STARR reported that cabinetry, painting and flooring has started at the new elementary school building. The project is on schedule and on budget. Canal relocation will begin in end February. Paving will start in June if weather permits.
STRICKER AND KIMBERLY ELEMENTARY TRANSITION UPDATE: Megan Garner, KES Principal and Jake Massey, SES Principal reported to the board the following transition updates:
- All 4th grade students will be attending Stricker Elementary for their 5th grade year. Families have been notified.
- Elementary teachers have been surveyed regarding school options and favorable response was received.
- Working with Maintenance on logistics of the move. A big thank you to KapStone for their generous donation of moving boxes.
- Pre-K and extended resource programs will be located at Kimberly Elementary school.
- Renovation of Kimberly Elementary will commence this Summer.
SUPPLEMENTAL LEVY RESOLUTION: Curtis Giles moved and Myron Nield seconded the motion to approve the Supplemental Levy Resolution. The Supplemental Levy Election will be held Tuesday, March 13, 2018. Voters will be asked to support a $250,000 Levy, each year, for two years. The motion carried 3-0.
2nd READING OF POLICY 5127 STAFF REPORTING ARREST AND CONVICTIONS: This item was tabled and will
be brought back in February.
2nd READING TO RETIRE POLICY 3640 and 3640P AND REPLACE WITH 3060 EDUCATION OF HOMELESS CHILDREN: This item was tabled and will be brought back in February.
2nd READING REVISE POLICY 6110 SUPERINTENDENT: This item was tabled and will be brought back in February.
CONSENT AGENDA: Curtis Giles moved and Myron Nield seconded the motion to approve the following consent agenda items, including $600 to support the students attending All-State Music. The motion carried 3-0.
- Approve district invoices
- Approve school invoices
- Approve food service expenditures
- Approve December 20th meeting minutes
- Approve All-State Music travel to Moscow, ID. January 31-February 3, 2018 ($150x4)
- Surplus Items - Pallets
- Update Fundraising Calendar
- MOU: Preventative Health
- Response letter for Barnhill request to divide 3.65 lot
DISCUSSION / AGENDA ITEMS
APPROVE ADDITIONAL INVOICES: Curtis Giles moved and Myron Nield seconded the motion to approve the additional invoices for December, 2017. The motion carried 3-0.
APPROVE FY19 SCHOOL CALENDAR: Curtis Giles moved and Myron Nield seconded the motion to approve the FY19 School Calendar. The calendar committee recommended consistent start and end dates. The motion carried 3-0.
APPOINT CASSANDRA SEARBY AS BOARD CLERK; Curtis Giles moved and Myron Nield seconded the motion to approve Cassandra Searby as Board Clerk. The motion carried 3-0.
APPROVE 1ST READING TO RETIRE POLICY 5420 INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANTS AND REPLACE WITH POLICY 5710 PARAPROFESSIONALS, TEACHERS’ AIDES AND PARAEDUCATORS: This item was tabled and will be brought back in February.
APPROVE 1ST READING REVISION TO POLICY 3141: This item was tabled and will be brought back in February.
- Day on the Hill will be February 19-20, 2018
- January 15th Teacher In-Service
- Professional Development Center (PDC)
- Ridgeline Subdivision – Busing
- Bus bids due January 25, 2018
- Good Stories to Share: KHS Girls Basketball came back at half time with a win against Filer; Special Ed Dept. was 1 of 42 districts that were 100% compliant with their general submission file review; Mrs. Garner wanted to give a special shout out to her staff for jumping in and assisting where needed when there was a medical issue.
Curtis Giles moved and Myron Nield seconded the motion to approve the amended personnel report The motion carried 3-0.
Cassandra Searby District Clerk
RESIGNATIONS / RETIREMENTS:
ADJOURNMENT: Rob Champlin moved and Curtis Giles seconded the motion to adjourn the regular meeting at 8:30 pm. The motion carried 3-0.
Mr. Rob Champlin, Chairperson Cassandra Searby, Clerk