August 17, 2016 | Kimberly
KIMBERLY SCHOOL DISTRICT 414
KIMBERLY SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
August 17, 2016
EXECUTIVE SESSION: No Executive Session was held.
Regular Meeting 7:30 p.m.
The meeting was called to order by Mr. Champlin at 7:30 p.m. Present were trustees Mr. Higdem, Mr. Giles, and Mr. Nield (Mr. Nield has to leave at 8:30 p.m.). Dr. Melvin was absent. Also in attendance were Mr. Schroeder, Superintendent; Mrs. Wirtz, Business Manager; Mrs. Cooper, District Clerk; Dominik Unger, KHS Principal; Kirby Bright, Athletic Director; Matt Schvaneveldt, KMS Principal; Megan Garner, KES principal; Sara Crystal, Curriculum Director and Michelle Haught, SPED Director.
AGENDA: Mr. Nield moved to approve the agenda. Mr. Giles seconded the motion. Note: New Business items 10B2 & 3 will be discussed prior to Mr. Nield’s departure. The motion carried 4–0.
FLAG SALUTE: Everyone stood and participated in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Board PD: Mr. Schroeder passed out a Board and Administration informational pamphlet with 10 governance tasks to review. The board has homework J……
Curriculum Report with FY16 testing results: Mrs. Crystal’s area of responsibility includes curriculum, professional development, testing and the gifted talented programs. Goals are to target professional development to our highest need after reviewing test results. We have successes to celebrate and will keep PD focused on student achievement. Kimberly SAT results are above the state average.
HEARING OF VISITORS: no one was in attendance.
CORRESPONDENCE: no correspondence.
FINANCIAL REPORT: Dane Higdem moved and Myron Nield seconded the motion to approve the July, 2016 financial report including investment pool statements. The First Fed CD will automatically rollover for another 3 months. The audit process began last week. The motion carried 4-0.
- Curtis Giles moved to approve the 1st and final reading to revise policy 5222 Evaluation of Certified Personnel aligning with IDAPA and State Board rules. Dane Higdem seconded the motion. The motion carried 3-0.
- Dane Higdem moved and Curtis Giles seconded the motion to approve the 1st and final reading to revise procedure 5222P Evaluation of Certified Personnel. The motion carried 3-0.
- Curtis Giles moved and Dane Higdem seconded the motion to approve the 2nd Reading to revise Policy 5142R Certified Employee Grievance Procedure.
- Building Project Information: Jason Derricott reported that the design process is in full swing and CTA will have a conceptual design ready for the September board meeting. Traffic studies are being reviewed. The board requested an option with brick to compare to metal.
CONSENT AGENDA: Mr. Higdem moved and Mr. Giles seconded the motion to approve the consent agenda with the following items. The motion carried 3-0.
Approve FY16 and FY17 district invoices.
- Approve school invoices
- Approve food service expenditures.
- Approve July 20, 2016 meeting minutes.
- Sale of surplus items –pallets
- Approve MOU/Contracts/protocols:
- Early Childhood/Headstart Interagency Protocol
- Health and Welfare Infant Toddler Protocol
- Physical and Occupational Therapy Services
- Business Tech Copier Lease for KES
DISCUSSION / AGENDA ITEMS
APPROVE ADDITIONAL INVOICES: Curtis Giles moved and Dane Higdem seconded the motion to approve additional invoices for August. The motion carried 3-0.
KIMBERLY SCHOOL DISTRICT ATHLETIC MISSION AND PHILOSOPHY STATEMENTS: After initial discussion Curtis Giles moved and Dane Higdem seconded the motion to table this item until the September meeting for further review. The motion carried 4-0. (prior to Mr. Nield leaving)
USE OF DISTRICT FACILITIES FOR ATHLETIC ORGANIZATIONS NOT AFFILIATED WITH KSD: Dane Higdem moved and Myron Nield seconded the motion to give Athletic Director Mr. Bright the boards support on scheduling facility use. The motion carried 3-1 with Mr. Giles being the no vote.
APPROVE ALTERNATIVE AUTHORIZATIONS: Dane Higdem moved and Curtis Giles seconded the motion to approve the following alternative authorizations for FY17:
- Camille Grover – adding library endorsement (year 2)
- Michelle Haught – adding SPED Director endorsement (year 3)
- Amanda Lisonbee – K-2 SPED Teacher (ID credential requirements needed)
- Rachelle Mueller – 3rd grade via ABCTE.
The motion carried 3-0.
SET EMERGENCY LEVY AND BUILDING DESIGN MEETING: A special meeting will be posted for Sept. 7th at 7 pm to discuss emergency levy and building design.
APPROVE FY17 BUS ROUTES: Mrs. Wadsworth, transportation director presented a map of school bus routes which are the same as last school year. She stated that no routes are changing at this time though a 10th route may be pending. Routes are anywhere from 45 – 60 minutes. Dane Higdem moved to approve the FY17 bus routes as submitted and Curtis Giles seconded the motion. The motion carried 3-0.
APPROVE $85 PER DAY STIPEND FOR BUS DRIVERS ON OUT OF TOWN / OVERNIGHT TRIPS: Curtis Giles moved and Dane Higdem seconded the motion to approve the $85 per day driver stipend for out of town/overnight bus trips. The motion carried 3-0.
1ST READING TO REVISE 3122R – ATTENDANCE POLICY: Curtis Giles moved to approve attendance policy revisions to align with ID legislation, specifically the parental rights legislation. Dane Higdem seconded the motion. Violations will be set at each building and attendance information will be available in each student/school handbook. The motion carried 3-0.
1ST READING TO REVISE POLICY 8115 MAXIMUM DRIVE TIME: Dane Higdem moved to policy 8115 to limit drive time by restricting student transportation between the hours of 2 a.m.–5 a.m. Curtis Giles seconded the motion. The motion carried 3-0.
RESCHEDULE DECEMBER BOARD MEETING: Curtis Giles moved to reschedule the December 21, 2016 board meeting to December 14th. Dane Higdem seconded the motion. The motion carried 3-0.
- Back to School lunch is Aug. 19th and board is invited to attend
- Community Football Game is September 2
- ISBA convention in Boise, November 9-11
- Digital Tools and Digital Ethics – will be reviewing confidentiality
- Estimated FY17 Enrollment – Kindergarten enrollment may be lower than anticipated
- Good Stories to Share – Luke played an inspiring you tube video – I’ll Push You.
Mr. Higdem moved and Mr. Giles seconded the motion to approve the personnel report. The motion carried 3-0.
RESIGNATIONS / RETIREMENTS / TERMINATIONS:
ADJOURNMENT: Dane Higdem moved to adjourn at 10:05 pm. The motion carried 3-0.